The Wire Communications Laboratory (WCL) is part of the Telecommunications and Information Technology Division that belongs to the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (ECE) of the University of Patras, Greece.
It was established in 1967 and began its activities in 1969 with Professor George Kokkinakis as its first Director. Since September 2004 Director of the Wire Communications Laboratory is Professor Nikos Fakotakis.
WCL originally focused on telephony but throughout the years has developed substantial research and teaching expertise in the fields of Telecommunications, and Networks, Information Processing. and Artificial Intelligence, and Electroacoustics. Such wide range of activities has been organised around seven (7) separate Research Groups with distinct research topics:
- Artificial Intelligence Group
- Audio and Acoustics Technology
- Communication Networks, Teletraffic Engineering and Applications
- Communications and Telematic Applications
- Digital Transmission and Coding
- Network Architectures and Management
- Pattern Recognition
- Visualization and Virtual Reality
The research activity of the Wire Communications Laboratory as it is carried out by the Research Groups is multifarious and covers both basic and Applied reserach. The research is being carried out in the context of European, National and industrial projects.